Tomorrow and Yesterday

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

As I was wandering back in from a particularly satisfying interval run with a brand new running buddy this weekend, I was suddenly struck by an urge to WRITE something.

It was ... nice.  And weird.

It's been a long time since I have had the urge to write.

I haven’t been running too much for over a year now. I started back and had set backs, and now finally, after months of trying to be consistent, I am finally laying down a few miles, two or three days a week. For those who followed the old me, this is a bit strange sounding. I mean, I used to lay down 40 - 50 miles a week. 

But that was then.
And this is now.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” 
― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

I don’t know that it’s a coincidence that I seemed to have stopped running and writing at the same time. It’s not that running and writing stopped appealing to me, I just had a bunch of things happen, and the next thing I knew, a year had passed, my blog was neglected and I wasn’t a runner anymore.

I felt like Jack Sparrow, standing on an island, next to a bonfire, “...but WHERE has the RUN gone?”

When I look back at it though, my most entertaining fulfilling writing was always done when I was training for something. In fact, I would go so far as to say, the more miserable the training, the more on point my writing became.  

Running was my muse.

Those were the days...  I wrote almost every day for years... and some of those posts still linger in my heart.

The Koozie...

The Social Elite...

The f*cking body image issues that I still f*cking struggle with...

The day I dumped it all out there because I needed to explain my addiction...

The dark and early running where I was dead a$$ last over and over again...

The time I realized we were all crazy... oh, and that other time... and the time after that

But while all these blog posts and magazine articles about running make me laugh, cry, wince or feel nostalgic, they aren’t all relevant to who I am now.

I’m not a stay at home mom training for a marathon while pushing two 4 year olds in a jogging stroller. I’m a nurse now. I work full time. I’m a single mom. 


So, while I’m not trying to start anything here, I do want to give myself a safe space to write about the funny and the sad, and all the “runurse” things in between. If the things I ramble about happen to connect to anyone out here in cyberspace, well, alright then. Bonus.

Comments

  1. It's interesting how times change. I've thought about going back to the blog. I try to be "ok" with only running 3 times per week. It's good to hear someone else feels the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Heel. Sit. Stay.